Saturday, March 6, 2010

Reading Break: Round 2

This past week has been packed with adventure like a can of tune with nothing to wait for but the smell of mayonnaise. On 3rd of March, a small group of us Kaleos went to duncan and walking near a used book store I entered in and found an old poetry book by Robert Service. I recognized his name through seeing some of his work on the Mt. Washington ski trip and so I added the book to my bookshelf here in my dorm. The next day several of us boys hiked up to the top of Mount Zuhalen in the evening to catch the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen descend behind the mountain range on the other side of Duncan. After we hiked down, we stopped by the grocery store to pick up some necessities such as steak strips, beans, alphagetti, peppers, havarti, and some goat cheese. Upon arrival back at camp, we made some bannock dough and hiked for another 40 minutes to "The Point", a rocky outcropping at the edge of the ocean. We settled down on a nice large rock where we made a fire and ate a gourmet steak dinner, far better than anything camp has to offer. A further distance up, away from the attracting fragrance of food, we set our sleeping bags down and slept under the wonderful array of stars. Waking the next morning with dew on our faces and a warm sun overcoming the mountainous horizon we hiked back to camp for breakfast and to prepare for the vans leaving for Mystic Beach shortly after. Now Mystic Beach is a beautiful place which requires a 30 minute walk through a wonderfully forested area on dirt paths and steps carved our of a 150 yard tree with a chainsaw. Then you get to the sandy beach with large, climbable boulders and caves to your right and a waterfall to your left with ocean everywhere in front and forest behind. We spent much of the day there, exploring, on the rocks, playing frisbee or soccer. The next morning I woke with Tim Everett and rushed down to the dock to see another glorious sunrise. Not one that consisted of as many colours as what I've seen but rarely does the sun rise over the mountains here where it is not blocked by clouds as it rises over the mountain top, today it did.
All of these days have been filled with sun and warmth. It has made it difficult to get homework done but homework is being accomplished nevertheless.

The Lord has also been gracious to me this past week and in very short time from applying, I was accepted onto a tree planting crew based out of Prince George, B.C. with a solid Christian foreman.

This week, the interactions I have had with people in a relaxed and natural setting have been well needed and beneficial for continuing to grow as a community. I have felt very comfortable with all the people here at camp lately and am quite enjoying everyones company. Maybe I've just had too much sun. Pray that we will be ready and equipped for Gospels coming up this week and that our friendships may continue to grow strong and Christologically.

Soli Deo Gloria

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment